Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Who's on first?

I love talking to three-year-olds. They're old enough to carry on a decent conversation, but not quite old enough to understand everything you say to them in the appropriate context. Take, for example, a conversation I just had with Ellie.

Me: Wow, there sure are a lot of toothbrushes on the counter!
Ellie: Oh, I put them there last night so I could count them.
M: Great! How many did you count?
E: All of them.
M: Ookaaaay...and how many were there?
E: (pointing at the row of toothbrushes) This many.
M: And how many is that?
E: blank stare
M: Did you count one, or two, or maybe five?
E: No, Mom, I counted all of them.

Third base!

4 comments:

  1. Sheesh, Mom. Don't you know how many "this many" is? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. E: (huh, I always though Mommy knew how to count. I'll use this as a teaching moment and instead of just telling her how many there are, I'll try to encourage her to figure it out for herself!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously you need to work on your counting skills. Good think Ellie is there to help you.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...