Thursday, October 23, 2008

Random Thoughts Thursday

I'm a trendsetter!!!

Possibly the cutest game on earth is being played right now by Ellie and her friend. It's called "The Honey Game". They invented it themselves and they play it all the time. Here's how the game always begins: "Let's play the Honey Game!" "Yeah!" "Okay, you be the mom and I'll be the honey!" I love it.

Why is it that as soon as I wash the sheets, someone inevitably smears them with purple lip gloss, colors on them with "washable" markers, or wets the bed?

I love Fall - the crisp air, the colors, the cool sunshine (when it's not raining, of course), the comfy sweaters. It may be my favorite time of year.

But I always feel that way in the Fall. I wonder if I'd still think so in the Spring?

It's no wonder my kids hate cleaning. They learned from the best. But it feels so good when it's done. They haven't learned that yet. Which is why I'm spending today in the playroom trying to find the carpet. Sometimes you have to teach responsibility. And sometimes you have to say to heck with responsibility because, for crying out loud, things are beginning to breed in there.

Norah Jones and a cleaning blitz are, sadly, incompatible. Whenever I listen to her, I feel like I should be lying across the top of a grand piano, wearing a slinky black, or possibly red, dress and holding a glass of red wine. Not dressed in an old t-shirt and holey jeans, surrounded by piles of toys that haven't been thought about in months, but that will be NEEDED as soon as I take the box to Goodwill.

Bon Jovi, on the other hand, excellent for the cleaning blitz! Nothing like rockin' out to "Livin' on a Prayer" and "Bad Medicine" (and scaring everyone in the vicinity under the age of...well, probably anyone under the age of about 30, to be honest, but the three kids in my house today in particular don't seem to appreciate 80's hair bands - can't imagine why) while unceremoniously stuffing garbage bags as full as possible with the aforementioned toys.

However, I don't think I have the right kind of hair to really get into Bon Jovi. That's disappointing. At one point in my life, I had that hair. I rocked that hair. By the way, Mom, please burn those pictures.

I have a lot of books on my "to read" shelf, and even more on the list. No reason to clean the rest of the house when a stack of books awaits, right? Right?

Vicki's birthday is in two weeks. What??? How did that happen?

I'm not old enough to be the mother of an 8-year-old, am I?

Laundry is the bane of my existence.

I bought Halloween candy the other day. Chocolate Halloween candy. Wanna take bets on whether I'll have to buy more before Halloween? I can hear it calling my name...Allison...just one won't hurt...or two or three or four...we're right heeeeeeeere...

4 comments:

  1. LOL....I haven't been able to resist the call of the Halloween candy. I will be heartily impressed if you can! By the way I totally agree with you about Norah Jones, but I have never thought of it as slinky black or red dress music....but I can totally see the piano. (= Oh and I am totally impressed with your devotion on cleaning out the toy room. That is next on my list.

    Have I mentioned that I love your random thoughts Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, I feel your pain! I can't resist the chocolate either, or anything sweet for that matter. Each year the store shelves start stocking it earlier and earlier. The worst part is, it won't be over after next Friday. We still have to get through Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me follow your formidable lead. Unfortunately for me there is NO CHOCOLATE of any kind in my house....needless to say cleaning will just have to wait!

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...