Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A small seamstress

Vicki decided out of the blue last weekend that she wanted to make a skirt. Being the supportive and encouraging parent that I am, I took her to JoAnn on Saturday so she could buy a pattern and fabric. There was a huge sale going on (because Columbus needs to be honored somehow), so she managed to get everything she needed for $4.50. She wanted to start right away, but I convinced her to wait until Sunday. As soon as we got home from church, she was raring to go. We spent all of Sunday afternoon and evening cutting, pinning, and sewing. I pinned, she did everything else. I knew she could do it, I just wasn't sure she could do it well, having never sewn anything before.

She was hoping to finish in time to wear it to school on Monday, but bedtime intervened. All she had left, though, was the hem and the ribbon trim. She's fast. By Tuesday it was ready to be shown off.


I am so impressed with her. She did such a good job! It looks at the very least like an adult made it, not a completely inexperienced 7 1/2 year old. I sense some talent in the making. She was floating in the clouds all the way to school Tuesday morning, and came home excited because her teacher said he couldn't even tell it was homemade!

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! She looks darling and I am totally impressed! I can't even make a skirt that looks that great. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's great! I think I'll hire Vickie to do my sewing. I'll tell her what I want, send her the fabric, and she can just send me the finished product. I like this arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a skirt once...it was awful! I am so impressed with Vickie's talent!

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...