Monday, December 8, 2008

Away in a Manger

I bought this Little People nativity set a few years ago, and it's been a huge favorite since then. And we've managed not to lose any of the pieces, although the cow was hiding out upstairs in the farm until about July, when Lexi realized that he actually belonged with Baby Jesus. We love this toy.

Every year when we get it out, I set it up like this:

And after that, every time I turn around someone has moved the figures around until they look like this:

Or this:


They do this every year. All. the. time.


It used to drive me nuts. Yes, it's a toy. Yes, I have my nice porcelain set up high on a shelf, which stays exactly how I set it up all season long. But still...when you put something on display, it's supposed to stay display-like, right?


WRONG! It finally occurred to me the other day, as I was putting it back for the umpteenth time already, that my girls are getting something out of this little plastic toy that I've failed to get out of every beautiful nativity display I've ever looked at. Oh, sure, I get that it's about Jesus' birth. But it's not about the display. Of course the wise men and shepherds, and heck, even the cow, donkey, and sheep, would want to look at the Baby. Who wouldn't?


It's all about the Reason for the season, isn't it?

Thanks, girls.

7 comments:

  1. Remember in Mr. Bean when he plays with the Nativity in Harrods? There were helicopters flying by, toy soldiers marching, and tanks. So, it could be worse. John evicted My Little Pony from the nativity scene last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie thinks the sheep ARE the reason for the nativity. We're working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting the Little People Natvity for a few years just so I'd have a set that the boys are allowed to play with. Because they tend to pull a Mr. Bean and play with my nice sets that easily break. On my best set, Joseph was decapitated about 4 years ago (thank goodness for crazy glue!!) and the donkey now only has one ear.

    So... let them at it. That's the purpose of the toy set, right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same set! Every year, baby Jesus is taken out of the manger so there is room for the animals. Once, I found him on top where the angel goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister-in-law has this and the little ones who can stand and walk around the furniture make a beeline for this everytime. I think it's a losing battle when it comes to arranging it, but the kids are so dang cute playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm only replying because I want to be a sponsor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! That is a great Nativity and I have debated on it forever. I think you might have finally convinced me! Have you seen the veggie tale version?

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...