Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Time to Fly

Today I left my baby girl at school.


Actually, the more accurate description would be that today my baby girl kicked me out of her classroom.

I didn't cry at the school.  I may have cried a little on the way to school, and I may also have sobbed like a baby for a few minutes when I got home.  (And now, while I'm writing this post.)  But I didn't cry at the school.

Ellie was up at 7am, knocking on my door and announcing, "I'm a kindergartner!"  She was dressed before breakfast, and before anyone else in the house, including me.


We walked to school.  Well, Lexi and I walked.  Ellie ran and skipped the whole way.

As parents, we want our kids to grow up and try new things.  I've been excited to have the house to myself for a few hours each day for a very long time.  But now I'm feeling lonely.  I don't know what to do with myself.

Except, that is, for eating this bucket o' brownies that a friend gave me this morning.  She said she knew I'd need them.  It's good to have friends.


I miss my baby.  I miss all my girls, really.  It's awfully quiet here without them.

But I can't deny that Ellie is growing up.  She still needs me, but she's ready to be a little more independent, to experience the world for herself.

She's ready to spread her wings and fly.


Far be it from me to get in her way.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the last picture is really cute. I know you are sad, but if I lived near you, I would come over and have a kids-are-all-in-school party for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations/Condolences! I can't wait to hear about her first day. I'm sure she will love every second

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...