Monday, February 14, 2011

My Funny Valentine

Our Valentine's Day was unprecedentedly low-key this year.

Girl Scout cookies came in on Saturday, and with the stress surrounding that I just didn't have it in me to plan anything for today.  Chris bought each of us girls a bouquet of cake pops that the youth at church were selling, and he quickly folded printer paper in half and made us each a card to go with them.  Fortunately, not knowing he was buying us the pops, I bought some, too, so that's what he got from me.

We're pathetic, I know.

After reading all the blog posts and Facebook statuses talking about their Valentine's Days, I was starting to get a little depressed about our lack of celebration, and my lack of initiative to even fake one.

Then Vicki asked me to check her homework.

Here's what I read when she handed me her notebook:

Dear Mom,

I appritate you becuse you are nice.  You are kind and caring.  You have a positive and good attitude.  You alwas bake dinner and help with homework.  You are loveing and I love you.  You help me with evrey thing and remind me to do: homework, piano, bathe, and put on deoderent.  You help evreyone.  So I love you.

Lllllooooovvvvveeeee,
Vicki
My day is suddenly much, much brighter.

Happy Valentine's Day :)

8 comments:

  1. Reminding someone to wear deodorant is definitely worth a thank you note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny had the same homework - apparently they had to think of five appreciative things to say about someone. He also chose to write about his mother but confessed he could only think of four things to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit of a Valentine's Day Scrooge today. I tried to hide it and stay positive, though. I didn't make any heart shaped foods or dye anything pink. I didn't give gifts to my kids or husband and I didn't receive any either. But each of my boys hugged me this morning and told me they love me. I did the same for them. We gave extra hugs and kisses. And we shared candy from their school parties. :)

    I think getting a letter like that or extra hugs and kisses are all you really need anyway. Who needs pink hearts??

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the sweetest things EVER! You need to keep it and show it to her when she is a teenager to remind her that she loved you at one time in her life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she is mature enough to realize that you love her so you want her to wear deodarant. Very mature of her.
    ps I love girl scout cookies, but why are they so loaded with fat? Can I suggest you ask them to stop putting nutrition labels on the cookies? Don't change them, just take the labels off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the deodorant part too. It is nice to be appreciated - probably the best Valentine's present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww!" was my reaction. So cute :) Loving, thoughtful words from the heart mean more than any forced Valentine's Day flowers or candy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least deep down she is grateful for the deodorant reminder. Having been present for an occasion I can see how you wouldn't have known.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...