Friday, February 11, 2011

Evil Genius at Work

We're all about responsibility around our house.

We like the Love and Logic parenting method.  We give a lot of choices, mostly things along the lines of, "Do you want to wear your coat, or carry it?"

Under no circumstances do we carry the coat for them.

I volunteer at the girls' school a few days a week, helping make sure kids are in their uniform, and providing them with acceptable clothes to change into if they're not.  We have a clipboard that we use to write the names of the students who aren't appropriately dressed each day so the school secretary can call their parents.  Ellie comes along for the ride.

Yesterday morning we were finishing up and ready to head to the office.  Ellie bounced toward the stairs, grabbing the clipboard on her way and announcing that she'd carry it.  So, realizing that it would complicate my life (and it's all about me, isn't it?) if I made her put the clipboard down so she could put on her coat, I told her I'd carry the coat upstairs.

She stopped mid-bounce and looked at me with a shocked expression that quickly turned to one of triumph and glee.

"Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! [imagine, if you can, the most evil laugh a five-year-old is capable of] I got you to carry my coat!"

Wearing the coat instead of carrying it

6 comments:

  1. I love it! She thinks she is so tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out for the youngest! They are always evil geniuses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Love and Logic. We use it all the time with Clara and I'm amazed at how much it works. I was able to attend a conference put on by Jim Fay himself. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Love and Logic too. Ellie is cute in her boots bopping around school with Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suckerrr!! ha ha

    Love and Logic sounds good, we'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...