Thursday, May 8, 2008

Page 123

I've been catching up with all the blogs I read and I just discovered that Angie tagged me. Fortunately, it was only yesterday :) Anyway, here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people and post a comment to the person who tagged you once you've posted your three sentences.

The nearest book that had at least 123 pages (Fox in Socks, while a literary classic, only has 61) was Emma Lazarus by Esther Schor. It's a biography of the woman who wrote the poem on the Statue of Liberty (you know, Give me your tired, your poor...) I'm only on page 65, and sadly have been for quite some time now, so this is new to me, but here you go:

"Given the circumstances, a more brazen, impolitic poem is hard to imagine. She drew her title, 'The Crowing of the Red Cock,' from a sentence in the famous New-York Times article: 'The peasants have a technical name for the deliberate firing of towns -- the 'red Cock' is said to crow.'

Across the Eastern sky has glowed
The flicker of a blood-red dawn,
Once more the clarion cock has crowed,
Once more the sword of Christ is drawn."


(There are two more lines to that stanza, and three more stanzas to the poem, btw) Now I'm motivated to finish the book! Thanks, Angie!

Anywho, I tag...Emily, Nicola, Kara, Danielle, and Mela.

5 comments:

  1. You bet! And now I want to read the rest of that poem. Sounds like a very interesting biography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It started out interesting and then got really slow, and I put it down about 6 months ago and haven't picked it up since. I'm not a huge biography fan. But judging from what I skimmed while counting sentences, it looks like it picks up again, so I think I'll actually finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I don't really do the blog, so I wouldn't be able to post anything. Plus, I don't read books! To be more clear, I listen to audio books mostly because of my commute. And, they don't tell you page numbers. That would be annoying! Thank you for tagging me though...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just so hard to come up with 5 people to tag! :) Honestly, I don't know why I didn't connet the fact that John does the blog with tagging you, but no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean! I really should contribute more to the blog but I am so busy with school, grad school, and everything else. Summer's coming but I have a feeling it won't be less busy.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...