Monday, February 18, 2008

Our Sunday Circus

Yesterday was one of those days where, by the end of Sacrament Meeting, Chris and I were both wondering why we even bother to go. I do know that the talks were on reverence, but my children weren't listening, so I didn't get to hear any more than that.

After breaking up fights over the crayons or who gets to color in the Dora coloring book, or explaining for the fiftieth time why Lexi can't play with Ellie's doll and no there still aren't any snacks in the bag, not since two minutes ago when you last asked, we were exhausted. Ellie spent the sacrament prayer kneeling backward on the bench and shhhhhhhing the people behind us, who were actually being quite reverent. Lexi can't sit still for more than three seconds (it's true - we've timed her), and Vicki was grumpy because I wouldn't let her take off her sweater (it was COLD!). Then, to top things off, it was High Council Sunday and the second speaker went over. Such a fun day.

I decided to stop sounding like a broken record and use different wording each time I reminded (pleaded with) Ellie to be quiet, so one time I leaned over and said, "You need to quiet your voice down." She whirled around to face me and said, in a very not-quiet voice, "NO! YOU need to quiet YOUR voice down!"

Sigh.

At least we provide endless entertainment for the people sitting behind us.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like our Sunday Circus. We should get together sometime and I am sure that we could bring down the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. I start mentally preparing for Sunday on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate. I start mentally preparing for Sunday on Saturday. It is wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Sadly because of the demographics of my ward I feel like the only one

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true!! The whole "reverent child sacrament meeting" model completely escapes us! Luckily we have (so far) escaped repeating history of what their father did when he was 3, which was strip down naked and streak the whole congregation. We still have the older generation remind us of that from time to time!

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...