Sunday, October 16, 2011

Strange Conversations with Strangers

This morning Lexi woke up with a fever.

On an ordinary Sunday, this wouldn't throw too big a wrench in the works, but today happened to not be an ordinary Sunday.  Chris and I were both scheduled to teach, and since he was going to be teaching adults and I was going to be teaching 4 & 5 year olds, it was pretty obvious which lesson was going to be easier for a last-minute substitute to put together.  (The ease of convincing a last-minute substitute to teach 4 & 5 year olds is something entirely different, by the way.)

So I started down the list of willing substitutes and promptly discovered that there aren't a lot of people who answer their phone at 8:00 on a Sunday morning.  After hanging up on several voicemails and answering machines, I finally got through to someone who didn't already have a class to teach.

Just as I was breathing a sigh of relief and putting away the phone list, the phone rang.

Me: "Hello?"

Caller: "Did someone just call my house?"

Me: "Who is this?"

Caller: "Who is this?"

Me: "This is Allison Ebert."

Caller: "Did you call my house?"

Me: "I've been making a lot of phone calls this morning, so I may have.  Who is this?"

Caller: "Did you call me?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I really have no idea.  I don't have Caller ID, so unless you tell me who you are, I can't tell you if I called you or not."

Caller: "Well, I'll give you a phone number.  555-5555.  Did you call me?"

Me: "Okay, that doesn't help.  I didn't memorize all the numbers I called.  If you could tell me who you are, I'll be happy to tell you if I tried calling you or not."

Caller: "I'm not telling you my name."
Somehow we finally got off the phone.

Without her ever telling me her name.

As much as I'd like to apologize for giving this anonymous paranoid phone police lady a complex on what might have otherwise been a very pleasant Sunday morning, I'm too entertained by the bloggability of our conversation.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting conversation.
    P.S. I dread trying to find subs for Primary Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to share the comment a friend left on the link to this post on facebook: "Regardless of who you are, are you willing to teach the 4 and 5 year old Sunday School class this morning?"

    Thanks for making me laugh, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I can't believe how paranoid she was. I had an easier time finding someone to WATCH my sick kids than teach a class. Yup! Someone would rather come to my house with barfy kids than teach adult women. (Thankfully the barfing had stopped by then.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tehehe! And the funny thing is, it must have been someone in your ward, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would think if someone was so concerned about their identity, they wouldn't have called a number THEY didn't know.....

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...