Thursday, January 24, 2008

It's a bird! It's a plane!


Today I feel like Supermom. I don’t know why, really – I didn’t do anything all that exceptional. I think it’s more the fact that I realized today that this whole Mom thing actually does come naturally. After over 7 years of being a mom, you’d think I’d have figured that out, but I guess today was sort of an epiphany.

It happened while I was driving to school to pick Vicki up. The secretary called and said she had a fever and needed to come home. Normally this would not be a big deal, but Thursdays are the day that I have both of the girls I babysit, so in addition to Ellie I had 2-year-old Katie and 6-month-old Violet. And a car that seats three children. It was just after 2:00, so it crossed my mind to ask Vicki to stay until school was out, and then my friend would bring her home as planned, but I didn’t think they’d let her stay there for another hour if she was sick. So I bundled up Katie, woke up Ellie and Violet and bundled them up and got them all into the car, which involved removing two carseats and installing two more. I figured Vicki would probably be okay in the front seat since we live only a half mile from school. Once we were on our way several things occurred to me. I could have asked the lady down the street to come sit with the little ones (or at least the ones who were asleep) while I ran to the school, since it would have taken all of 10 minutes, or I could have called the friend who was going to pick the girls up after school and asked her to run over and get Vicki for me (which she pointed out when I called to tell her that it was just going to be Lexi after school). But I also realized that having my entire afternoon thrown completely off course by one phone call didn’t freak me out at all. So what if I had a houseful of kids? So what if I had no easy or, ahem, legal way to transport everybody I needed to? One of my own needed me, so I was going to do what had to be done.

Yes, I am Supermom. But then, I guess I always have been. Aren't we all? :)

(Oh, and the kicker? Vicki’s temp. when I got her home was 94. What's up with that?)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that sometime within the next five and a half years that chaos will start to feel like the norm! Kudos to you for managing so well. I'm glad Vicki was not sick, and for her I'm sure getting out of school early isn't the treat that it would have been for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You are supermom with all that you do. I am impressed that it didn't shake you at all. I sometimes feel like a bump in the schedule sends all sorts of waves in other directions, but maybe that is why most woman are so good at multi-tasking. (= Glad that Vicki is feeling better and that you are coming to realize how amazing you truly are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wouldn't say it didn't shake me at all (ask Chris what I was like when he got home!), but it didn't send me into waves of panic about how our entire day was going to be ruined, which is what I imagine would have happened five or so years ago! I'm learning to just roll with the punches, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...